Ep 29 | Ab-Soul | Herbert – This Is Not Happening – An Album Of The Month Podcast
Guess who’s back. Back again. TINH’s back. Tell a friend.
This month, in Part 1 we go deep on this month’s Album of the Month by Sudan Archives. In Part 2 we play ‘Spin It or Bin It’, where we choose a theme and each bring our choice of tracks. This month the theme is ‘Our own personal entrance music’.
Part 1 | Album of the Month | Sudan Archives | Natural Brown Prom Queen
It’s my (Joey’s) choice this month and we’ve gone with a belter of a sophomore album by Sudan Archives that easily claims the best titled album of the year ‘Natural Brown Prom Queen’
If you’ve not heard it and this inspires you …
(personally I’ve got my eye on the ‘I just wanna get my titties out’ t-shirt –here)
As always we kick off with what we expected from the album and what we got. Then we explore favorite tracks, sequencing of the album, why ‘OMG Britt’ nearly ruined the whole thing for Guy’, the creative process of making the album and the influences that we hear.
We mention a few things that we’d highly recommend checking out, so here are the links;
- A great interview with Fader – ‘The World’s most confident introvert’
- Fader interview in Podcast form – here
- The AWESOME Song Exploder episode on ‘Selfish Soul’ – here
- And this incredible live performance – WOWZERS
Part 2 | Spin It or Bin It | ‘Our own personal entrance music’
The theme for Spin It or Bin It is a bit different this month. We’re choosing our ‘Entrance Music’ and describing the event or circumstances that we’re entering. If that doesn’t make too much sense, just listen to the episode! This month, the 4 tracks were …
- David chose – Adriano Celentano | L’Unica Chance (plus David’s blog post)
- Joey chose – Joey Valance and Brae (Feat. Logic) | Tanaka 2 (plus Joey’s blog post)
- Guy chose – The Beastie Boys | Sabotage (plus Guy’s blog post)
- Nolan chose – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis | Can’t Hold Us (plus Nolan’s blog post)
The big one! The end of year review. Hold on tight. We count down our 10 favourite albums of the year, featuring lots of moaning about David’s album scoring algorithm. We also present our tracks of the year. Can you sum up the year musically in one track? It’s a lot tougher than you’d think.
Other episodes of the pod and 10 years of the blog;
If you enjoyed this episode, please check out the others. If that’s not enough for you then there’s 10 years worth of music discussion on the blog at www.thisisnothappening.net, which runs alongside the podcast choices and much, much more.