Ep. 31 | Young Fathers | Heavy Heavy – This Is Not Happening – An Album Of The Month Podcast
In Part 1 we speak in depth about Rozi Plain’s new album ‘Prize’. It’s a curious, warming gem of an album that really needs to be talked about. In Part 2 we play ‘Spin it or bin it?’, the theme this month is Protest Music.
Part 1 | Album of the Month | Rozi Plain | Prize
David’s choice this month is an artist that he has a long relationship with, Rozi Plain. Rozi was new to the rest of us so we were all playing catch up. I can’t remember an album that needs to be talked about (in real life, with human beings) as Prize. You will hear me processing what I actually feel about the album, live, while we discuss it. I think I probably come out of the discussion with a slightly different conclusion to the one that I had at the start. All good albums get better with more attention but this one absolutely demands it.
Please, please, please go and give it a listen. I think most people will find something that they love about this album.
- Go listen to the album – HereorHere
- Go watch some videos – Hereor Here
- Go buy some of Rozi’s stuff – Here
We mention a few things that we’d highly recommend checking out, so here are the links;
- The James McMahon podcast interview / chat with Rozi – Here
- Sophie Walker’s Guardian album review – Here
- Pitchfork album review – Here
- Konstantinos Papis’s interview for Our Culture – Here
Part 2 | Spin It or Bin It | Protest Music
We all pick a track based on a theme, present the track and ask the simple question, Spin it or Bin it? The theme this month is a simple one ‘Protest Music’. There are no limitations or rules this month other than, as always, we try to bring new music or a new context to each other.
- Guy chose – ‘Take the Power Back’ by Rage Against the Machine
- David Chose – ‘Ship Building’ by Elvis Costello & the Attractions
- Joey chose – ‘Reagan’ by Killer Mike
- Nolan chose – ‘Four Women’ by Nina Simone
A 16 track Protest Music playlist (4 tracks each) can be found – Here
Guy brings Young Fathers ‘Heavy Heavy’ for Album of the Month and we play ‘Spin It or Bin It?’ with Post-Genre tracks.
We’ve been writing a blog for years come and have a look – https://thisisnothappening.net/